The Transfer Application Window for the Spring 2019 Semester is closed after remaining open October 1-November 30. Look for more information about Fall 2019 transfers in the spring. For information on KISD's Early Learning Center campuses, please contact Early Learning Center North at 817-744-6700 or Early Learning Center South at 817-743-8300.
Open Campus List
Keller ISD Transfer Guidelines
All approved transfer applications, intradistrict transfers (in-district), interdistrict (out-of-district), and employee student transfers are granted for one school year at a time. Students on transfer and continuing in their current building DO NOT need to complete a new transfer application each year. For example, a third-grade student going to fourth grade or a seventh-grade student going to eighth grade, etc., does not need to complete a transfer application each year.
Transition year students must submit a new transfer application. Transition year students are students whose continuation in school results in a change in buildings – early learning center to elementary school, elementary school to intermediate school, intermediate to middle school, or middle school to high school.
Transfer requests for the fall semester will be accepted between March 1 and April 30 of each school year and reviewed by the third week in June. Transfer requests for the spring semester will be accepted between October 1 and November 30 of each school year and reviewed by the third week of December. The receiving school principal will notify the parent of approved and denied requests.
Please be aware that transfers received outside the above timeframe may not be reviewed until after the start of school or up to 60 school business days, due to campuses conducting new enrollments on a daily basis and the potential that an approved transfer may later be revoked if grade-level capacity exceeds grade-level staffing.
Consideration of Transfer Request
In evaluating each transfer request, Keller ISD will consider:
- Individual needs of the student and reason provided on the transfer request;
- Student’s academic, behavior and attendance history;
- Overall effect the transfer will have on the home and receiving school;*
- Student’s need for special instructional services not provided at the home school;
- Medical consideration of the student as described in a letter from the student’s medical provider (letter must be submitted with the transfer request);
- A family request to have similar age siblings attend the same school;
- Building capacity and any planned renovation projects;
- Current enrollment, growth projections, and boundary issues;
- A request to allow a student who has moved to another Keller ISD school attendance area to continue to remain in the current school he/she had been attending;
- Teacher allocations and class size; and/or
- Other factors relevant to a particular transfer request.
*Keller ISD will not increase staff allocations to accommodate transfer requests. Consideration of the effect of the transfer may differ at elementary and secondary schools.
Kindergarten – MUST complete Kindergarten Round-Up at the student’s zoned home campus.
Elementary – To ensure space is available at a campus for students who reside in the attendance area, Keller ISD generally will deny a request seeking transfer to campuses where the affected grade level enrollments are projected at 90 percent or greater of class size expectations.
Secondary – A variety of factors will be considered to determine whether the transfer would negatively affect the particular campus’s ability to maintain reasonable class sizes.
Feeder Pattern Progression – The approval of a transfer does not guarantee continued progression through the feeder pattern campuses.
Keller ISD does not provide transportation for transfer students unless otherwise required by law. Parents whose transfer requests are approved will be responsible for providing transportation to and from the campus.
Change of Residence
A transfer request must be completed when a student moves into a new Keller ISD home school area but wants to remain in the school he or she has been attending. Please contact your home campus secretary for processing. A student is considered a transfer student subject to the transfer rules beginning at the time a request is approved.