Welcome to the Library
Library Mission:To support the school by...
General Information:We welcome our students and their parents to utilize the KHES library and its resources! Parents are able to have up to five books checked out at a time for home use. Come by the library to see what books we have available!Library Hours: 7:30-3:00 M-FStudents are able to come to the library every week for book check-out and/or a library lesson as a class. However, students are also encouraged to come to the library on their own to conduct research or check out new books. Students are encouraged to come to the library as often as needed to turn in books and check out new ones!Kaye Bray, Ph.D.
- promoting literacy and a lifelong love of reading
- providing access to culturally diverse, age-appropriate materials
- encouraging students, parents, and staff to become effective users of information and ideas
- providing materials that enrich and support the curriculum as well as professional development of faculty and staff
Library/Media Technology Specialist
2019-20 Reading ProgramsThis information will be available in August/September.
- Each year, 20 books are chosen specifically for grade 3-6 readers. If students read a minimum of five books from the current master list (or have the books read aloud to them), they are able to vote for their favorite title during the month of January. The author of the book receiving the most votes statewide is declared the winner of the Texas Bluebonnet Award.
- Bluebonnet Book Award Winners
The Bluebonnet program began in 1981, and every year a book is chosen to receive the Bluebonnet Award by 3rd - 6th grade readers. Here is a list of the previous winners.
- Caldecott Medal Winners, 1938 to Present
This medal, awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children, was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association.
- Guys Read
A website that talks to you about how to get BOYS interested in reading! Check it out!
- Kids Reads
Great information about kids books--portions for parents, teachers and librarians, too!
Lone Star Reading List
Current list of 20 books recommended for students in sixth through eighth grade.
Newbery Medal Winners, 1922 to Present
This medal, awarded annually to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children, was named for eighteenth-century British bookseller John Newbery. It is awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association.
Read Kiddo Read!
Includes lists of recommended books for different age levels, with information about books and authors, wonderful suggestions for what to read next, and a fun site for all who love reading with their children.
Texas 2X2 Book List
Current list of 20 recommended books for children, age two to grade two. There is a .pdf file of simple activities that go with each book.
Texas Reading Lists
This site includes the current Texas Reading lists: Bluebonnet (grades 3-6), Lone Star (grades 6-8), Tayshas (high school), Maverick (graphic novels), and Lariat (fiction for adults).
Extra: Go to Sleep with Bedtime Stories for Kids
This fun site was recommended by a student. It has fun stories that can be read on the computer.