WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. There are two primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. program:
- To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
- To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
Who are Watch D.O.G.S.?
Watch D.O.G.S. are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one full day during the school year at their child's/student's school.
Watch D.O.G.S. volunteers perform a variety of tasks during their day including helping in the classroom with a teacher’s guidance by working with small groups of students on homework, flashcards, or spelling, play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their own students, but other students as well.
How Watch D.O.G.S. Works
- Complete a background check online at www.kellerisd.net. Background checks are required at the beginning of each school year. Please note that you will not be able to volunteer as a Watchdog until you're background check has been approved by KISD so please allow up to two weeks for processing before you select your Watchdog day.
- Sign-up for a day by contacing Christi Salee in the front office. The front office will receive a notification that you have signed up.
- Arrive to FSES at 7:30am on the day of your assignment dressed in your pre-purchased Watch D.O.G.S. apparel if you have one. If you didn't get a chance to order a shirt...no worries, we're still happy to have you!
- Check in with the front office. You will be given a name badge and a specific itinerary for your day which will include time in your student(s) classroom as well as during their recess and lunch.
- At the end of the day, check back in with the office to complete a quick online survey and then head outside to help with dismissal.
After that, you're free to head home and nap. You'll likely need it!
If you have any questions regarding the program, please email Christy Salee or call the front office at (817) 744-6200.
News & Notes