Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

6th - 12th Grade Course Acceleration

Full Grade Skip & Subject Course Skip for 6th - 12th Grade

Credit by Examination WITHOUT Prior Instruction: Grades 6-12 Grade Level and Course Acceleration

To receive credit for an academic subject in which the student has received no prior instruction, a student must meet one the following requirements:

  • A student must earn a three or higher on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exam that has been approved by the board for the applicable course;
  • A student must earn a minimum of 80% on each Credit by Exam assessment to accelerate through and receive credit for a year-long course. Some Credit by Exam assessments consists of two separate assessments for each year-long course, one for each semester of instruction. A single-semester course (e.g. US Government) will consist of only one Credit by Exam assessment, for which an 80% must be earned to receive credit.

If a student meets the criteria for a high school credit course, the examination score(s) will be used on the student's transcript and the credit will be awarded. Results of the CBE’s will not be calculated into the student’s grade point average. If a student does not meet the 80% criteria on a CBE assessment, credit for the course will not be awarded. Course credit and the CBE assessment score will not be placed on a student’s transcript.

If a student meets the 80% criteria on the CBE, he/she is not required to take an End-of-Course (EOC) assessment if the assessment is required for high school graduation (English I, English II, Algebra I, Biology, or US History).

Credit by Exam assessments cannot be used to determine eligibility for the NCAA Clearinghouse. A student may not attempt more than two (2) times for a particular subject on the basis of an examination for credit in that subject/course. Students that are successful in a full grade level acceleration will be moved to the new grade level the following school year. Students that are successful in a subject acceleration will be moved to the new grade level subject for the following school year.

If you or your student is interested in acceleration, please find the acceleration request forms below. Please note that Acceleration requests for World Language courses have a separate request form. Please submit these requests to your child's campus counselor before the deadline.