• Special Education Information and Community Resources

  • Links to Additional Resources

    Resources on Special Education in Texas

    This page, managed by the Texas Education Agency, provides families with information regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Dyslexia, Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. 

    ESC Region 11

    Education resources and links to various topics for educators and parents.

    ESC Region 11 Autism Support

    Links to information related to Autism. Additional links on the left side of page offer specific supports to parents and teachers.

    ESC Region 11 Special Education

    Directly links to the Special Education page on the ESC Region 11 website.

    Legal Framework

    Low Incidence Symbaloo

    A symbaloo is a group of links that gives comprehensive and usually related information on a topic. This symbaloo is specific to low incidence students and is managed by the Region 11 Service Center.

    Notice of Procedural Safeguards - English Sept 2022

    Notice of Procedural Safeguards - Spanish Sept 2022

    Parent's Guide to the ARD Process - English Feb 2021

    Parent's Guide to the ARD Process - Spanish Feb 2021

    Partners Resource Network


    Community Resources for Parents


    Call 2-1-1 to find out if you are eligible for services

    2-1-1 is a free, easy-to-remember phone number connecting callers with health and human services in their area. Knowledgeable staff will speak with you and answer your questions. You can call for assistance seven days a week, 24 hours a day or visit the www.yourtexasbenefits.com site to find the HHSC benefits office closest to you.

    When you call 2-1-1, you pick a language and then pick from 3 options:

    Press 1 to learn about services in your area. such as:

    • Food
    • Housing
    • Child care
    • After-school programs
    • Senior services
    • Help after a disaster
    • Tax help

    Press 2 to learn about state benefits, such as:

    • SNAP food benefits (used to be called food stamps)
    • Medicaid
    • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
    • Cash help for families (TANF)

    Staff can talk with you Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

    Press 3 to report waste, fraud and abuse in state health and human services programs.

    Staff can talk with you Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

    You also can visit the 2-1-1 Texas website to find the phone number to your local 2-1-1 Area Information Center.

    You might not be able to connect to 2-1-1 if:

    • You are calling from outside of Texas.
    • Your cell phone won’t dial 2-1-1.
    • You use voice-over-IP (use the Internet to make calls).


    Medicaid is a federal program that provides comprehensive medical benefits to low income families, individuals who are medically needy, and individuals who are eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or certain other federal programs.

    Most people who have a developmental disability are eligible for SSI unless their financial resources exceed the maximum allowed. (At age 18, parents’ income is no longer included in their financial resources, only the students’ personal income and assets are considered).

    To learn more about disability benefit applications, go to http://www.ssa.gov/disability/.

    The Social Security Administration determines SSI eligibility.

    The Texas Health and Human Services Commission determines Medicaid eligibility only after a person does not meet SSI eligibility.

    What are Medicaid Waivers?

    Texas Medicaid Waiver Programs are available for disabled Texans of all ages, with a diagnosis of intellectual disability, autism or pervasive developmental disorder (Some programs require that a diagnosis of a developmental disability be confirmed during the developmental years).

    The waiver programs allow the states to offer Medicaid funded services and supports to persons in their own home or in other home-like settings in the community. These waivers do not look at the parent’s income but are based on the applicants’ income and resources.

    Because the demand for community-based services and supports often outweighs available resources, applicants’ names may be placed on a chronological and dated interest list until services are available. Applicants are placed on these lists on a first-come, first-served basis. When a person’s name comes to the top of the list, he or she will be contacted by a caseworker who will then determine eligibility.

    At that time, persons must meet disability criteria for admission to that specific program; call each waiver for more information.

    Some needs may be met through other programs until an applicant’s name comes to the top of the list.

    Medicaid Waiver Programs and Services

    Examples of services offered by some of the following programs are: case management, adaptive aids, minor home modifications, counseling, therapies, dental care, nursing, medical supplies, residential assistance, respite, day habilitation and supported employment.

    Call each number to put your child on the waiting / interest list.

    Home and Community-based Services (HCS) and Texas Home Living (TxHmL)

    Call : Kim Lambert 817-569-4140

    This program provides services to eligible individuals who live with their family, in their own home, in a foster/companion care setting, or in a residence with no more than four individuals who receive services.

    Community Living and Assistance and Support Services (CLASS)

    Call: 877-438-5658

    For persons with a disability, other than intellectual disability, which occurred before age 22, and that affects their ability to function in daily life. Services offered as an alternative to placement in a facility.

    Community Based Alternatives (CBA)

    Call: 888-337-6377

    CBA provides home and community-based services to aged and disabled adults (21 and older) as an alternative to institutional care in a nursing facility.

    Medically Dependent Children Program (MDCP)

    Call: 877-438-5658

    Respite services, home modifications and adaptive aids for medically involved children (under age 21) allowing them to live at home.

    Deaf- Blind Multiple Disability

    Call : 877-438-5658

    For people aged 18 or older who are deaf and blind, have one other disability, and need 24 hour support. Services range from residential group homes to support for individuals who live at home.

    To compare Medicaid waiver services go to:


    My Health My Resources of Tarrant County

    MHMR of Tarrant County - http://www.mhmrtc.org

    Overview of Intellectual Disability Services

    MHMR provides services and support for eligible persons with intellectual disability or pervasive development disorder in individual, family, and foster homes as well as in alternative living residences and small group homes. Vocational Services and supports are provided through job placements in businesses throughout the community and at training and affirmative business sites.

    General Eligibility for Services

    • Must live in Tarrant County
    • Must be age 3 years or older
    • Must have a diagnosis of intellectual disability, autism, or pervasive developmental disorder
    • Must meet criteria for admission to the specific program

    Services may be paid by outside sources such as specific Medicaid programs, general revenue from the State of Texas and/or private pay.

    My Health My Resources of Tarrant County is contracted/licensed to provide Home & Community Based Services (HCS), Intermediate Care Facilities (ICF), and Texas Home Living Services (TxHmL). For more specific information about these programs please call (817)569-4000.

    Supplemental Security Income

    SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. The Social Security Administration (SSA) administers this program. SSA pays monthly benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older. Blind or disabled children, as well as adults, can get SSI benefits.

    How is SSI different from Social Security?

    • Many people who are eligible for SSI may also be entitled to receive Social Security benefits. In fact, the application for SSI is also an application for Social Security benefits
    • Unlike Social Security benefits, SSI benefits are not based on your prior work or a family member's prior work.
    • SSI is financed by general funds of the U.S. Treasury--personal income taxes, corporate and other taxes. Social Security taxes withheld under the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) or the Self Employment Contributions Act (SECA) do not fund the SSI program.
    • In most States, SSI beneficiaries also can get Medicaid (medical assistance) to pay for hospital stays, doctor bills, prescription drugs, and other health costs.
    • SSI beneficiaries may also be eligible for food stamps in every State except California. In some States, an application for SSI benefits also serves as an application for food assistance.
    • SSI benefits are paid on the first of the month.

    To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have "limited" income and resources.

    In addition, to get SSI, you must:

    • be a resident of the United States, and
    • not be absent from the country for more than 30 days;


    • be either a U.S. citizen or national, or in one of certain categories of eligible non–citizens.

    For more information go to the SSI website: http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm