KISD Transfer Application
Intra-district Transfer Guidelines
Neighborhood School Concept
The Keller Independent School District (Keller ISD) is committed to the neighborhood school concept. Where a student resides determines the schools he or she will attend. The District maintains a comprehensive student assignment plan that is designed to support the neighborhood schools concept, promote balanced enrollment and efficient use of facilities, and comply with legal requirements. Any student, kindergarten through 12th grade, who wishes to attend a Keller ISD school outside of his or her neighborhood attendance area (the " zoned home school") must complete an Intra-district Transfer Request and obtain District approval to change schools.
Procedures for Intra-district Transfer
Transfer request forms are available in the front office of each school or on the District website at www.Keller ISD.net under the "Need to Know" tab and the Student Transfer link. Parents desiring an Intra-district Transfer must complete the Transfer Application and submit it to their zoned home school for processing. Incomplete forms will be returned for completion. Transfer requests must be approved by the principals of the home and receiving schools and the superintendent's designee before a student may change schools. A condition of every approved transfer is the requirement that the student maintain good academic standing, prompt and regular attendance, that the student maintain good behavior, and that the parent cooperate with the receiving school.
The campus and District administrators will attempt to make a decision on a transfer request within 60 days after a completed request is received. However, the District may delay a decision when the District determines a delay is necessary to properly consider relevant information and operational needs. The receiving school principal will notify the parent of approved requests. The home school principal will notify the parent of a denied request.
Transfers are effective for the beginning of a semester. A request to transfer made after the beginning of a semester will not be considered for that semester except under extenuating circumstances. Requests must be filed by the following deadlines:
Transfer requests for the fall semester will be accepted between March 1 and April 30 of each school year and reviewed by the third week in June.
Transfer requests for the spring semester will be accepted between October 1 and November 30 of each school year and reviewed by the second week in January.
Transfers submitted outside these calendar windows will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis that may take up to 60 school business days.
Please be aware that transfers received during the summer months may not be reviewed until after the start of the school year due to campuses conducting new enrollments on a daily basis and the potential that an approved transfer may later be revoked if grade-level capacity exceeds grade-level staffing.
Keller ISD does not provide transportation for transfer students unless otherwise required by law. Parents whose transfer requests are approved will be responsible for providing transportation to and from the campus.
Change of Residence
Transfer forms must be completed when a student moves into a new Keller ISD home school area but wants to remain in the school he or she has been attending. A student is considered a transfer student subject to the transfer rules beginning at the time a request is approved. A new transfer is required when a student wants to change schools.
Considerations of Transfer Request
In evaluating each transfer request, Keller ISD will consider:
- individual needs of the student and reason provided on the transfer request;
- student's academic, behavior and attendance history
- overall effect the transfer will have on the home and receiving school;*
- student's need for special instructional services not provided at the home school;
- medical condition of the student as described in a letter from the student's medical provider (letter must be submitted with the transfer request);
- a family request to have similar age siblings attend the same school;
- building capacity and any planned renovation projects;
- current enrollment, growth projections, and boundary issues;
- a request to allow a student who has moved to another Keller ISD school attendance area to continue to remain in the current school he/she has been attending;
- teacher allocations and class size; and/or other factors relevant to a particular transfer request.
* Keller ISD will not increase staffing allocations to accommodate transfer requests. Consideration of the effect of the transfer may differ at elementary and secondary schools:
Elementary – To ensure space is available at a campus for students who reside in the attendance area, Keller ISD generally will deny a request seeking a transfer to campuses where the affected grade level enrollments are projected at 90 percent or greater of class size expectations.
- Kindergarten students MUST complete Kindergarten Round-Up at the student’s zoned home campus.
Secondary – A variety of factors will be considered to determine whether the transfer would negatively affect the particular campus's ability to maintain reasonable class sizes.
Rescission of Transfer
An Intra-district Transfer is a privilege. Approved transfers may be rescinded by the principal where the student is enrolled due to the following reasons:
- Student becomes a disruption to school operation and/or a detriment to the learning of other students;
- Student fails to maintain good conduct and behavior;
- Student has excessive tardies and/or absences;
- Lack of parental cooperation;
- Change of the student's residence;
- Falsification of residency, transfer, or enrollment documents; and/or
- Other relevant reasons determined by the building principal.